Who needs the FSSAI License/ Registration in India?
FSSAI License/ Registration in India is mandatory for all food and food-related businesses, this
14 digit registration number gives us information about the permit of the producer.
The following businesses mandatory got to obtain the FSSAI Registration or License.
- Petty retailers, retail shops, snacks shops, confectionery or the Bakery Shop, etc.
- Temporary stalls, or food premises that are involved within the preparation, distribution,
storage, and sale of food products.
- Hawkers who sell packed or freshly prepared food.
- Dairy units like milk chilling units, petty milkman, and therefore the milk vendors.
- Vegetable oil processing units.
- Slaughterhouse like meat shop, mutton shop, chicken shop, lamb meat shop.
- Meat and Fish processing units.
- All food manufacturing and processing units include the repacking of food.
- Proprietary and novel food.
- Cold store facility.
- Transporter of food products that have several specialized vehicles just like the insulated
refrigerated van/wagon, milk tanker, food wagon, food trucks.
- Any wholesaler, supplier, distributor, and marketer of food products.
- Hotels, Restaurants, and Bars.
- Dhaba, Banquet halls with food catering, home-based food services and food stalls in fairs
or other religious places.
- Importers and therefore the Exporters of Food And cloud kitchens.
- The type of FSSAI License/Registration is required by each of the sorts of the
above-mentioned business depends on the eligibility criteria.
Who can get an FSSAI license?
All Food Business operators including existing small businesses need to obtain an FSSAI license.
Depending on the size of the business, they may choose a medium, national, or basic license.
Major food producers, importers, exporters working in the big food business are required to
obtain FSSAI Registration in India from the central government. While small and medium business
units, freight forwarders, marketers, retailers are required to apply for a state license from
the state government.
Production units have a capacity of 2 MT per day, milk units hold up to 5000 liters per day.
Replications, recycling units, cakes, catering businesses regardless of the profit required to
apply for a FSSAI national license in India.
All importers and exporters regardless of how much they import need to apply for a medium
license. Any Food Business operator with a limit of 20 crore and who wants to operate in two or
more regions needs to obtain a FSSAI intermediate license in India.
- For the recently introduced changes a person with a basic FSSAI license can apply for a
State or Central License with the same registration number, there is no need to apply for a
Who can get FSSAI Registration?
FSSAI registration is required for all small businesses. Registration of FSSAI in India is
required for the following businesses:
- Any Food Business Provider with an annual turnover of less than Rs.20 lakh.
- A small retailer working with food products.
- Any person who makes or sells any food item alone
- Food stalls in temporary stalls
- Anyone delivering food to religious or recreational gatherings (excluding food)
- The small cottage industry in the food business with the following strength.
Documents Required for FSSAI Registration
FSSAI Registration in India is very effective for small food retailers and the process for
obtaining FSSAI Registration is very simple. The FSSAI Registration Documents are as follows
- Photo of Food Business Operator.
- Proof of ownership such as Ration Card, Voter ID, PAN Card, driver's license, Passport,
Aadhar Card, Senior Citizen Card.
- Supporting documents such as NOC by the municipality or panchayat, Health NOC.